"The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamoring to become visible." -Vladimir Nobokov

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Letter #6




Dear October,
        I did some writing today! Your weather helped, since you decided to get cold and rainy, giving me an excuse to stay inside. I’m slowly, slowly getting back into the habit of writing. Today was some of the first work I’d done on an actual story since attempting Camp NaNoWriMo back in July, and it felt good. But it was also really difficult. My inner editor decided that her vacation was over and made a grand entrance about one sentence into my story. I sluggishly worked through most of the afternoon, sitting on my bunk bed to keep my feet warm (my room’s not that cold, it’s just my feet), and wrote in miniscule spurts, taking frequent Twitter breaks and consulting some of the books shown above for inspiration. It feels like my brain is all over the place today, but after I finish this letter I’m going to dive back in and really try to get some words written. I like writing in the evening because it’s quiet and I don’t have the urge to go out and do things like I do at the start of the day. In the evening I can curl up with a cup of tea and write to my heart’s content, long after Ms. Sassy Inner Editor has gone to bed. I do miss the big green armchair in my living room where I got a lot of writing done, though. Especially on cold nights with a fire burning in the fireplace. That, and my feet are cold. Please be warm tomorrow, October. I have to make a trip to the library.

Laura 

1 comment:

  1. Love this. Get some socks Laura! (or I actually got some sweatpants before coming here, and they cover my feet pretty well, so that's good too! They're soft and almost too light and loose, but I've gotten used to them and now I like them a lot.)

    ReplyDelete