"The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamoring to become visible." -Vladimir Nobokov

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Letter #2


Dear October,
        The internet is down campus wide and everyone is freaking out. I can’t say it doesn’t affect me: this shut-down is accompanied by the same uncomfortable feeling    in the pit of my stomach that I always get when I feel cut-off, alone. But what’s different this time is that I’m not alone. Losing access to Facebook or e-mail for a few hours doesn’t mean I’m on some secluded island where no one can reach me. I’m surrounded by people, and what’s more I’m free from the distractions that the internet so readily provides. Maybe that’s why it’s so scary when our connection goes down. We can’t be without the knowledge that distraction from reality is just a click away.
This afternoon I finished some homework in the library and then I took a walk. I like the internet because when I share things, I feel like a participant in some big important conversation. But stealing the ten minutes it took to walk around campus, I felt like a different kind of participant. The kind we become just by being alive. And October, I must say, your sunsets really are spectacular.

Laura

Song of the day: "I Will Go Anywhere With You" by Julia Nunes


No comments:

Post a Comment