- A Writing Space. Be it a table by a window, an attic bedroom, a regular spot at a coffee shop, a park bench, or a meticulously designed study just for us, a space dedicated to writing is every writer's dream. And the more time we can spend making it perfect, the less time we have to actually work!
- Books. And lots of them. Beside's food and water, this is the fuel that keeps our minds churning.
- A Computer. And typing skills. Enough said.
- A Lamp. Good lighting is essential to every writer's space. It is especially helpful when staying up late during NanoWriMo!
- A Good Pen. Every writer knows what they like in a pen. From fountain, to ballpoint, to gel tip, or even quill, something about this age old writing instrument draws us back time after time.
- A Good Notebook. To go with the pen. Make sure it's portable, and high quality. This is one of the writer's most important tools because we use it to trap those precious drops of inspiration that can fall at any moment.
- A Typewriter. This is my personal favorite. What better way to get started in the morning that the smell of inky ribbon and the clack of the keys against the paper. There's something so permanent about it, like you're hammering your words into stone. Talk about a wake up call.
- A Dog. Or a cat. Though I'm not much of a cat person, any pet can make a difference in a writer's life. Who else will love you unconditionally, no matter how much bad poetry you recite for them?
- A Dictionary/Thesaurus (the old fashioned kind). While you can get this online and as a feature in many word processors, sometimes it's nice to have a real book to refer to. (See also: #2)
- A beach, forest, or other natural rest spot. When the going gets tough, or you just need a break from writing, choose a place where you can relax and recharge.
Well there you have it, all the essentials. But remember, while it's fun to get caught up in the nit picky details when choosing items for our writer's toolbox, sometimes we have to let go of them for a little while a do what's really important. Write.