"The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamoring to become visible." -Vladimir Nobokov

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

On Being Interesting

So, guess what everyone....I have a twitter account! Some people would shrug that off as if it were nothing. "Oh," they say, "Well, I've got a Facebook and Tumblr and Flickr and Twitter and Pinterest and Blogger and Google+..." The list goes on. And maybe they are the type of person that will say anything on the internet, that doesn't care if their status updates lack substance (A prime example being: "I'm booored. Text me!"), but I'm not that kind of person. I want people to take something away from my words, or at least empathize with them, or at least think about them.

When I first started this blog, I was terrified that no one would want to take writing advice from an unpublished author (And a teenager, no less). Why would anyone want to hear about my life when they could read the thoughts of their favorite authors, go behind the scenes of their favorite books? And while that fear still haunts me at unexpected moments, like the first time I opened my twitter page and freaked out, having no idea where to begin and wondering why anyone would want to follow me, I've learned that, for the most part, the internet is not that different from real life. Be yourself. Share what you love, and learn from people who love the same things you do. Find a community. Have a laugh,  and make new friends.

 Now, I wish this post could be a success story about my rise to fame as an aficionado of the social media world. But my (inevitable and glorious) internet celebrity-dom is still a work in progress. Already I have learned so much from fellow bloggers (I mean, Nathan Bransford's post about re-tweets?! I wouldn't have known what that was a week ago, much less the best way to utilize them!), and for the people that have commented on this blog in the past or are one of my followers on twitter (I have 5! Can you believe that!), thank you! You are truly, undeniably awesome.

Oh, and by the way, you can find me on twitter at @laurapoet33... Just sayin'. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment