"The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamoring to become visible." -Vladimir Nobokov

Monday, October 2, 2017

Letter to October #1




Dear October,
      Well, here we are again. You arrived on my day off, which was lovely. It wasn't until I started a real job that I understood the true meaning of a good day off. Even when I was in school I didn't cherish weekends the way I cherish a free day now. It doesn't have anything to do with not liking my job (I love it, in fact), but everything to do with suddenly relishing the gift of free time in a way that I hadn't before.

This morning I went to brunch with friends and felt like a millennial, I guess, though I don't really know what that means. It's still weird to me sometimes, hanging out with people as though it were still summer, as though it was just another year. But it's not summer. And my friends have jobs now, and we're not waiting for the next semester to start, we're out there making life happen.

All summer I would wake up and think to myself, "This is your life now." It wasn't a resignation or a defeat, but a reminder. A reminder that I'm not waiting for anything anymore. A reminder that I could go in any direction. Now, I don't have to remind myself as much. It's amazing how quickly we adapt, how ready we are to inhabit whatever space is provided us. I thought I wasn't ready for you, October, but I guess it's only a matter of time.

Laura

Song of the day: Midway by Bad Bad Hats

No comments:

Post a Comment