"The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamoring to become visible." -Vladimir Nobokov

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Back to School!

Hey everyone-I guess it's time for an update, since I haven't written since July. Wow, it's really been that long! Expect to be hearing less of me after the 22nd, 'cause thats when school begins to make a meal of my life. Sounds appetizing, doesn't it?


Truthfully, I have nothing against learning. And I'm excited for this year especially because it looks like I'm going to have very good teachers. The classes I'm most looking forward to are Creative Writing (with my favorite teacher ever!) and English. No surprise there, right? I've also heard that the statistics teacher can work wonders for mathematically challenged students like me. Thats very, very good!


In my experience, it's always been about the teacher. If I can find someone who really loves their subject and loves sharing it with us, I'm happy. Not only does enthusiasm make class more interesting, but it also helps when you have to hunker down through four or five hours of homework every night. I want a teacher whose joy of learning and teaching is so contagious that it rubs off on everyone they meet. How come are these people so rare? 


Now, I know good teachers (and their level of enthusiasm) aren't the only factors in a successful education. There's a lot of hard work involved on the part of the student, and learning is as much a self governed activity as it is a guided one. Plenty of kids can survive a class where they are just taught the basics. Still, I know I always do better with a good teacher- and not necessarily one that can explain things so that I understand them the first time around. A good teacher, to me, is one that makes me want to learn more, someone who feeds my curiosity. Give me one of those, and by the next test, I'll be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment